Jan 20, 2010

Up In The Air

I initially thought this film would be nothing more than your average rated summer film that has managed to squeeze it's way into the Golden Globes nominated Best Motion Picture Drama category (where heavyweights Avatar and Inglourious Basterds reign). But when I am forced obliged to spend the afternoon out (while I wait for my boyfriend to finish his volunteer shift nearby) and am faced with the choice to see either Up In The Air or Lovely Bones, I had to go with the former.

Jason Reitman's Up In The Air surprised me. After having listened to Adam and Matty's podcast featuring their review of the film, I was skeptical. Was I sitting in a theatre waiting to see another one of Clooney's typical suave, handsome good-guy character films? Yes, and no. But putting that aside, this was a great film.

What worked for me was the interesting storyline behind this film. Clooney plays Ryan Bingham, a man whose job it is to fire people all across the country. Bingham's life revolves around the many hours spent up in the air. In fact, he lives on frequent/loyalty memberships which he benefits from all the miles he travels and all the hotel rooms he calls 'home' in a year. This world he knows so well comes crumbling down when the company decides to ground him.

As the film progresses, Ryan learns about life - a more grounded life - the life he has missed out on in his travels. As Ryan learns, we as the audience learn too. There was much about life and relationships, and I felt that it was well reflected in the relationships between the characters, cleverly directed by Reitman. When I remember Juno, the characters and how they interacted was what made that film a winner. Reitman, in his latest film, has managed to sustain that excellent directing.

I wasn't so keen on the editing of the film. There were times when it seemed too choppy and I felt there were shots that were completely unnecessary to the story's progression. Otherwise, there were some clever stylised edits like the jump-cuts at the beginning when we are introduced to Ryan's job.

Props to Anna Kendrick who played the tightly wound, but fantastic Natalie Keener, and J.K. Simmons, who had a small role, yet I thought it was played well.

Overall, Up In The Air was a good choice, and I'm glad I picked it over Peter Jackson's Lovely Bones. Reitman has done well this time, especially after the success of Juno. I highly recommend this film.

I rate this 7/10.

PS.: I beg forgiveness for the seemingly sloppy and incoherent write-up. I would give you some form of an explanation, but truthfully, no one wants to know anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment