Jul 15, 2010

Post-Film School Life Begins

Apart from keeping my internship at Titan View, I've been 'busily' applying for jobs here and there from the comfort of my couch. It's been a while since I've been able to sit around with a whole day to waste wrapped in a duvet with my laptop. The other reason for this apart from having just graduated with my Diploma in Screen is to nurse myself better from this cold that has been around since last week. So it all works out in the end - I am bedridden from this illness, so what better way to spend the day than to apply for jobs! Hah, hah.



Kieran and I had booked our flights and tickets to this year's Melbourne International Film Festival, which runs from the 22nd of July to the 8th of August. It's the first film festival I have bought a mini pass to, and the first festival or event interstate which I am indeed traveling to attend. It's a pretty exciting thought, and is in itself one of the first steps in my post-film school life.

These are the films we are going to see:
  • Beeswax (dir Andrew Bujalski, USA)
  • Ha Ha Ha (dir Hong Sangsoo, received the Un Certain Regard Prize at Cannes this year, South Korea)
  • Mai Mai Miracle (dir Sunao Katabuchi, Japan)
  • Boy (dir Taika Waikiki, won the Best Fiction Feature Audience Awards at this year's Sydney Film Festival, NZ)
  • Four Lions (dir Chris Morris, UK)
  • Kanikosen (dir Sabu, Japan)
  • A Time To Love (dir Embrahim Forouzesh, Iran)
  • Karaoke (dir Chris Chong Chan Fui, Malaysia)
  • The Juche Idea (dir Jim Finn, USA)
  • Cell 211 (dir Daniel Monzon, Spain/France)
  • The Well (dir Umesh Vinayak Kulkarni, India)
  • Taqwacore: The Birth of Punk Islam (dir Omar Majeed, Canada)
  • Small Soldiers (dir Joe Dante, USA)



I'm really looking forward to seeing Beeswax, Ha Ha Ha, a childhood 'classic' of mine Small Soldiers and the only Malaysian film featuring at this year's MIFF, Karaoke. We've planned the trip over 4 days, where we will watch 13 films. I have a feeling we will begin to turn nocturnal from sitting in the theatre all day long for the majority of our trip. After all, it could be fun being a movie owl.

That being said, now that I've spent all this money on the trip, I should really get cracking on finding that job if I want to keep living in this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment