Apr 30, 2010

Thesis Character Reference: Justin

The lead character of my thesis film "This Is Not Poetry".
Justin, 19
A young man out of school, and madly in love with a young girl in his lit class. He wants nothing more than to be with her, but does nothing more than dream and write about her. He is quiet, introverted and loves writing poetry. Writing is a talent of his.
The overall look of Justin has been inspired by my youngest cousin. I simply can't imagine anyone else than my cousin to play the role of Justin, but alas - restrictions, restrictions being that he is currently in Melbourne completing his IB course at school. I remembered he found his Doppelganger, a very accurate match with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. To me, he has a type of sullen look in his eyes. I love the humbleness he emits, and I think this would be key in the characteristics of my main character Justin.

I liked JGL in 500 Days of Summer, and could probably relate some of my film's concepts to it (including character similarities). I have heard some interesting things about Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin and intend to watch it some time soon for character references.

Now, to find someone who possesses just that!



3 comments:

  1. I found Mysterious Skin to be in many ways disturbing, but at the same time quite possibly JGL's best movie. The kind of angst and youthful indifference he portrays in it is really quite unique, something you might like; I've never seen him act that way any of his other films. Watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going to go with 'Bieber'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you'd like that would you?

    Aish - I've heard about the storyline and remember the disturbing material it portrays. I've also heard that it's JGL's best performance. Your comment has confirmed some things for me, I'll have to watch it soon!

    ReplyDelete